The World Cup is truly an international event. John Motson
Footballers' Quotes As Reported in the British Press
- Amusing Quotes from
Football Howlers From Managers and Players
Selection of Funny Football Quotes
- Stupid Football Remarks
A great friend once said, that no jockey ever said anything worth listening
to. After reading these soccer quotes, perhaps the same applies to soccer
players. On the other hand, these quotes do give us a chuckle!
- 'I couldn't
settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country'. Ian Rush
- 'I'd like to play for an Italian
club, like Barcelona'. Mark Draper
- 'Do you remember when we played in Spain in the Anglo-Italian Cup?' Shaun Newton
- 'Winning doesn't really matter as long as you win'. Vinny Jones
- 'I always used to put my right boot on first, and then obviously my right sock'. Barry Venison
- 'My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7'. David Beckham
- 'I definitely want Brooklyn to be
christened, but I don't
know into what religion yet'. David Beckham
- 'I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league'. Mark Viduka
- 'I took a whack on my left ankle, but something told me it was my right'. Lee Hendrie
- 'Alex Ferguson is the best
manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's
the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's
the best manager I've ever had'. David Beckham
- 'If you
believe you can win, there is no point in getting out of bed at the end of the day'. Neville Southall
- 'Germany are a very difficult team to play...they had 11 internationals out there today'. Steve Lomas
I have to say that, for once, American sportsmen interview so much better, it's
as if the NFL, Baseball and Basketball players have all been to media school, whereas our soccer players
learn and speak their own dialect of English.
Ivor a Welshman, who successfully managed Bradford City and Carlisle allegedly uttered these words after a good season on the field, 'Without doubt, one of
the secrets of our successful season was the harmonium in the dressing room.'
After a celebratory dinner he was heard to say, 'We had a lovely meal. Lovely. We had a big steak with all the tarnishings.'
Ron, of Aston Villa and Birmingham fame, when asked about unrest in the dressing room and behind the scenes supposedly replied, 'Allegations are all very well but I would like to know who these
When asked to explain how a 2-0 lead became a 3-2 defeat Saunders uttered the immortal words, 'As I see it, if you're going to commit suicide, you don't do it yourself.'
spoke to John Sadler in 1962 to say how pleased he was with Scunthorpe's side. He commented, 'I think I have the best side I've ever had now. We've a nice blend of old 'uns and youngsters. I think I've got the
mucus of a good team.'
[all these quotes come from John Sadler, the respected sports journalist's article in the Guardian newspaper 14.08.2007]
Harris's Law states that no football, cricket, rugby union or hockey team
have won the World Cup under a foreign coach.
Cathy Harris writes about sport in The Times.
- It was really difficult for us,
playing in the midday sun with that three o'clock kick-off. David Beckham
with wingers is more effective against European sides like Brazil, than
English sides like Wales. Ron Greenwood, former England Manager
- I'd be surprised if all 22 players are on the
field at the end of the game - one's already been sent off. Jimmy Greaves
- I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know
what day it is! Steve Mclaren
- It's headed away by
John Clark, using his head. Derek Rae, Commentator
- I came
to Nantes two years ago and it's much the same today, except that it's
totally different. Kevin Keegan
- Celtic manager
Davie Hay still has a fresh pair of legs up his sleeve. John Greig, Football
- That was only a yard away from being
an inch-perfect pass. Murdo Macleod.
- Hearts are now playing with a
five-man back four. Alan McInally
- Solskjaer never misses the
target. That time he hit the post. Peter Scmeichel
- He's got a knock on his shin there, just above the knee. Frank Stapleton
- If you are in the six-yard box,
standing in an offside position, then you are offside. Steve Bruce
Shankly, the late, legendary Liverpool FC manager reputedly said, 'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more
important than that.' It appears that this Italian fan thinks much the same:
An Italian football fan has started putting up a grave every time his team loses a
major match. Inter Milan fan, Massimo Pecorino, 52, has so far erected more than 20 gravestones on a local mountainside. He says grave mistakes can only be marked by a grave where he buries his hopes and
dreams, near his home town of Cortona.
Pecorino said, 'Instead of enjoying a celebration I felt like I was at a funeral, so I spent the day carving out my fury on a stone.'
- 'I've never wanted to leave. I'm here for the rest of my life, and hopefully after that as well'.
- 'You've got to believe that you're going to win, and I believe we'll win the World Cup until the final whistle blows and we'
re knocked out'.
- 'I was
watching the Blackburn game on TV on Sunday when it flashed on the screen that George (Ndah) had scored in the first minute at Birmingham. My first reaction was to ring him up. Then I remembered he was out
- 'Without being too harsh on David Beckham, he cost us the match'.
- 'I'm as
happy as I can be - but I have been happier'. Ugo Ehiogu
- 'Leeds is a great club and it's
been my home for years, even though I live in Middlesborough'.
- 'I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel'.
- 'The Brazilians were South American, the
Ukrainians will be more European'.
- 'All that remains is for a few dots and commas to be crossed'.
- 'One accusation you can't
throw at me is that I've always done my best'.
- 'I'd rather play in front of a
full house than an empty crowd'.
- 'Sometimes in football you have to score goals'.
- 'I was
surprised, but I always say nothing surprises me in football'.
- 'It was like the ref had a brand new yellow card and wanted to see if it worked'.Richard Rufus.
no in between - you're either good or bad. We were in between'.
- 'If you don'tconcede any goals you'll win more games than you lose'.
- See funny
Football Team Struck by Lightning
In October 1998 all 11 members of a football team were apparently killed
by a bolt of lightning which left the other team unhurt, according to a
Kinshasa daily newspaper "L'Avenir" said local opinion - known to believe
in charms and spells - was divided over whether someone had cursed the team.
The two sides were drawing 1-1 in the match in eastern Kasai Province when
the lightning struck the visiting team.
'The athletes from [the home
team] Basanga curiously came out of this catastrophe unscathed,' the paper
reported. Thirty other people received burns at the match in the Democratic
Republic of Congo.
Will and Guy can find no official confirmation for the veracity of this
more lightning strikes.
And now an International Soccer Special, Manchester United v Southampton.
Real possession football, this. And Zico's
52,000 people here at Maine Road tonight, but my goodness me, it seems like 50,000.
I think Charlie George was one of Arsenal's
all time great players. A lot of people might not agree with that, but I personally do.
That goal surprised most people, least of all myself.
Nottingham Forest are having a bad run, they've lost six matches in a row now without winning.
He hit the post, and after the
game people will say, well, he hit the post.
At the end of the day, the Arsenal fans demand that we put eleven players on the pitch.
P.S. Please write to Will and Guy if you have any funny football quotes
See more clean football jokes and funny stories:
• Crazy football
Funny football stories •
Funny footballer quotes •
Funny Referee •
Funny football pictures
• Funny football photos •
Funny Super Bowl jokes