A language teacher called Thérèse was explaining to her class that in French nouns
are labelled as
either masculine or feminine. This was news to the class, as in English, nouns have little or no concept of gender. Thérèse explained,
'House, in French, is feminine -- 'la maison.'
'Pencil, in French, is masculine -- 'le crayon.'
One puzzled student asked please miss, 'Which gender is a computer?'
Thérèse did not know whether it was le computer or la computer, moreover the word wasn't
in her French dictionary. So for fun she split the class into two groups appropriately enough, by
gender, and asked them to
decide whether 'computer' should be a masculine
or feminine noun.
Computer Gender Group - La computer
group decided that computers should definitely be female: la computer'
Group - Le computer
- No one but their creator understands their internal logic.
- The native language they use to communicate with other computers is
- Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for possible
- As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half
pay cheque (check) on accessories for it.
group, however, concluded that computers should be male: 'le computer'
. Here is the ladies
- In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on.
- They have a lot of data but still can't
think for themselves.
- They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem.
- As soon as you commit to one, you realise
that if you'
d waited a little
longer, you could have got a better model.
Who do you think won the gender argument?
Should it be Le Computer or La Computer?
5 More Reasons Why Computers Must Be Female
- They are impossible to figure out.
- They break down for no apparent reason.
- They communicate only with each other, and in their own particular
- They have motherboards inside them.
- Sometimes it's difficult to find their on/off button.
Please send us your take on computer gender.