'Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but
by the moments that take our breath away.'
- Sayings That Make
You Stop and Think
- Quotations from
- Another Batch of Wisdom
- Top Ten Favourite Sayings
- Silly Things People Say That Probably Annoy You and Me
Any fool can tell the truth, but it requires a man of some sense to know how to lie well.
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics
are more pliable.
Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a
damn fool about it.
The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a
vigorous mind. Samuel Johnson
If you're curious
see more famous sayings here!
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
Alfred Lord Tennyson
Art is science made
The best way to become acquainted with a subject is to write a book about it.
Politics is not the art of
the possible. It consists in choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable. John Kenneth Galbraith
The ability to delude yourself may be an important survival tool.
The follies which a man regrets most, in his life, are those
which he didn't
commit when he had the opportunity. Helen Rowland
All things are difficult before they are easy.
The least of learning is done in the classrooms.
Thomas Merton (So keep reading our jokes!)
Remember that as a teenager you are at the last stage of your life when you will be happy to hear that the phone is for you.
stop laughing because you grow old. You
grow old because you stop laughing.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Nothing is as simple as we hope it will be.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Clare Booth Luce (also Oscar Wilde)
One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it.
Michel de Montaigne
- Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on
saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I
may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I
have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to
do it even if I may not have it at the beginning. Mahatma
- You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose
sight of the shore. Christopher Columbus
- Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in
overalls and looks like work. Thomas A Edison
- Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something
they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to
have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the
skill. Muhammad Ali
- So many of our dreams at first seems impossible, then they seem
improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become
inevitable. Christopher Reeve
- Efficiency is doing things right.
Effectiveness is doing the
right things. Peter Drucker
- Formal education will make you a living. Self education will make
you a fortune. Jim Rohn
- You must be the change you want to see in the world.
- Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail. Waldo Emerson
- It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without [necessarily] accepting it. Aristotle
Funny Valentine's Day Sayings
- 'When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain'. Mark
- A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.
successful woman is one who can find such a man.
- My girlfriend told me that she was seeing another man.
told her to rub her eyes. Emo Philips
- See more
- People who point at their wrist while asking for the time.
- People who are willing to search the entire room for the TV remote
because they refuse to get up and change the channel manually.
- People who say, 'Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too'.
Yes! What good is cake if you can't eat it?
- People who say, 'it's always the last place you look'. Personally, I
tend to stop looking once I've found it.
- When people watching a film say, 'did you see that?' What do they
think I was watching?
- People who ask, 'Can I ask you a question?'
- When something is "new and improved". Which is it?
- When people say, 'life is short'. Life is the longest thing anyone
ever does. What can you do that's longer?
- When you are waiting for the bus and someone asks, 'Has the bus come
If the bus had come would I be standing there?
Twelve More Wisdom Sayings
- There are few things in this world more reassuring than an unhappy
- I read the other day in a book by a fashionable novelist that ghosts
went out when the electric light came in. What nonsense.
- Sadness is almost never more than a form of fatigue.
- We do on stage things that are supposed to happen off. Which is a
kind of integrity, if you look on every exit as being an entrance
- A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
Kettering. (Keep re-defining a problem until it solves
- God gave man two ears, but only one mouth that he should hear twice
as much as he speaks.
Epictetus - Greek Philosopher.
- The chief requirement of the good life is to live without any great
image of oneself.
- Wealth is like seawater the more we drink, the thirstier we become
and the same is true of fame.
- Brigands demand your money or your life, women require both
- There are no ugly women, only lazy ones
- The best careers advice to give to the young is 'Find out what you
are good at and get someone to pay you for doing it'.
- Inspiration is the act of drawing up the chair to the writing desk.
Please send us your favourite wisdom
See more wise words, witticisms and quotes
Funny words of wisdom •
Wise words •
Funny thoughts to ponder •
A funny word
Witty funny quotes •
Famous people sayings •
Wisdom sayings •
Perks for over 60s
Meaning of words •
Funny thought of the day •
Rules of life •
Funny put downs