- Tiger and Piglets - California
- Tiger and Piglet - Thailand
- Bengal Tiger in China - with Piglet
- Tiger and Orang-utans
- Snow, or White Tiger
- Interesting Facts About Tigers
What did the Tigress say when she taught her cubs to hunt? Don't go over the path until you see the zebra crossing.
Intelligence of Orang-utansAt their conservation refuge on Kaja Island in Borneo, Orang-utans have been learning some new behaviours by copying men. Firstly they have learned to fish. They have adapted several human techniques, hunting fish with spears, and also taking fish from unattended lines used by the men on the island. Secondly, the Orang-utans have learned to swim. Previous naturalists had not realized that these apes could swim, but pictures confirm that they are comfortable swimming as they seek fish. It seems their stroke is a cross between doggy-paddle and the breast-stroke. It is a shame these apes are facing extinction, it is tantalizing to wonder how much they could learn given the right circumstances.
- The snow or white tiger is an endangered species found in the Himalayas, India and China. Biologically the white tigers are the same species as the Bengal tiger. Genetically it's rather like having brown hair (Bengal) or blonde hair (Snow tiger). Just as brown haired parents can occasionally produce blonde children, so dark Bengal tigers can occasionally produce snow or white tigers.
- There is only one species of tiger, Panthera tigris. Variations are sub-species with well defined ranges and characteristics, but capable of inter-breeding if they meet.
- How many stripes do you thing a tiger has? Guy guessed 20, Will guessed 50, we were both a long way out, tigers have over 100 stripes.
- Tigers have eyespots on the ears. They display these eyespots in various ways so that other tigers can judge their mood, for example, playful, aggressive or sleepy.
- At the mouth of the river Ganges in Bangladesh is the Sundarbans mangrove forest. This area house one of the largest groups of tigers in the world. Moreover, unlike other tigers, this Bengal sub-species will kill humans who wander into its territory. While old or injured tigers of other sub-species will kill humans when they are hungry, the Bengal tigers are the only group where fit an healthy tigers and tigresses become man-eaters.Relatively recently locals realize that tigers attack only from behind, thus if they have to go into the mangrove swamp, then a mask on the BACK of their head really does offer protection from tiger attacks.
- Cartoons featuring tigers often show them opening their claws like flick-knives. There is a grain of truth in this caricature in that tigers do have sharp 4in retractable claws. Incidentally, they have five toes on their front legs, but only four on the back legs.
- There are several collective nouns for tigers. Wills favourite group name is an 'ambush of tigers', while Guy prefers a 'swift of tigers'. Other names for a collection of tigers are, a streak and also a hide. In truth, all are these collective nouns for tigers are obscure or unusual concepts because tigers are solitary animals. Females and males only meet up briefly to mate, if you see a group of tigers, then its a female with her adolescent cubs.
- The names for the two genders of this animal are interesting, the female is the tigress, but the male, could it be tom? or bull? No. The correct name for a tiger father or son is tiger. It seems a feature of the cat family where the name for the male is the same as the species Tiger - tiger and also Lion the animal, lion the name of the male.