Here is Will and Guy's collection of lunatic stories, funny pictures and moon myths.
- After the Americans went to the Moon, Murphy and Declan announced that the Kerry Men would go one better and send a man to the Sun.Murphy objected. 'If you send a man to the Sun, he will burn up!' 'What do you think we are, stupid?' Declan replied. 'We'll send our man at night!'
- Murphy and Declan have just opened a new restaurant on the moon. It serves great cheese dishes, but the atmosphere is terrible!
- How can you tell when the moon is going broke? You can see that the moon is down to its last quarter.
Hey diddle diddle, The cat played the fiddle, The cow jumped over the moon, The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the dish ran away with the Spoon
- Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. - Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.)
- I don't know if there are men on the moon, but if there are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum - George Bernard Shaw
- See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...we need silence to be able to touch souls. - Mother Theresa
- Man is now able to soar into outer space and reach up to the moon; but he is not moral enough to live at peace with his neighbour! - Sri Sathya Sai Baba
- Reach for the moon, because if you don't make it you'll land among the stars. - William Cullen Bryant
Another Moon JokeMick and Seamus staggered out of a bar in Limerick (it really happened). They sat on a bench to get their bearings. Seamus, in philosophical mood, said to Mick, 'which do you think is farther away Dublin or the moon?' Mike thinks for a full minute and says, 'It must be Dublin. I can see the moon up there, but I've looked around and I cannot see Dublin anywhere'.
Ten Fun Facts and Moon Trivia
- The moon is not a planet, but a satellite of the Earth.
- The surface area of the moon is 14,658,000 square miles or 9.4 billion acres.
- Only 59% of the moon's surface is visible from earth.
- The moon rotates at 10 miles per hour compared to the earth's rotation of 1000 miles per hour.
- When a month has two full moons, the second full moon is called a blue moon. Another definition of a blue moon is the third full moon in any season (quarter of year) containing 4 total full moons.
- From Earth, we always see the same side of the moon; the other side is always hidden.
- The dark spots we see on the moon that create the image of the man in the moon are actually craters filled with basalt, which is a very dense material.
- The moon is the only extraterrestrial body that has ever been visited by humans. It is also the only body that has had samples taken from it.
- The first space craft to send back pictures from the moon was Luna 3 [built by the Soviet Union] in October 1959.
- The moon has no global magnetic field.
Did You Know'The Dark Side of the Moon' is the eighth studio album by English rock group Pink Floyd, released in March 1973. The dark side of the Moon may mean either:
- The lunar hemisphere that is not currently lit by the sun [which is "dark"]
- The far side of the Moon, the side that is permanently turned away from the Earth.
Will and Guy suggest that even if a couple can't be together, they can still enjoy the night by watching the moon at the same time so it seems that they are together at that hour. More about the Chinese Moon Festival
Edward Lear PoemThere was an Old Man of the Hague, Whose ideas were excessively vague; He built a balloon to examine the moon, That deluded Old Man of the Hague.
London Olympic Moon - Extra Ring? A Myth from Greece According to the Greek myth of Endymion and Selene, the moon (Selene) fell in love with a handsome young king named Endymion and bore him 50 daughters. One version of the story says that Selene placed Endymion in eternal sleep to prevent him from dying and to keep him forever beautiful. Footnote: Endymion was the Latin name for bluebell, hence 'Bluebell' moon. A Legend from Kenya, East Africa In a myth of the Luyia people of Kenya in East Africa, the sun and moon were brothers. The moon was older, bigger, and brighter, and so the jealous sun picked a fight with him. The two wrestled and the moon fell into mud, which dimmed his brightness. God finally made them stop fighting and kept them apart by ordering the sun to shine by day and the mud-spattered moon to shine by night to illuminate the world of witches and thieves.
A Cheesy Moon JokeQuestion: What do you get when you take a green cheese on the moon and divide its circumference by its diameter? Answer: Moon pi.
Moon JokeDid you hear about the great new restaurant on the moon? The food is excellent, but there's no atmosphere.
There is a Tradition that the Man in the Moon Enjoyed Drinking ClaretAn old ballad runs (original spelling): "Our man in the moon drinks clarret, With powder-beef, turnep, and carret. If he doth so, why should not you Drink until the sky looks blew?"
Further Five Favourite Funny Facts
- When Neil Armstrong took that first historical step of "one small step for man one giant step for mankind" it would not have occurred to anyone that the step he took in the dust of the moon was there to stay. It will be there for millions of years because there is no wind on the moon. That is, assuming the downdraft from the Command Module upon takeoff back into space didn't destroy the print. Buzz Aldrin reportedly saw the American flag, much further away, blow over during launch. Nevertheless, any footprints made by the famous astronauts undisturbed by takeoff are, in fact, there to stay.
- In a survey conducted in 1988, 13% of those surveyed believed that the moon is made of cheese.
- In China, the dark shadows forming a face is seen as "the toad in the moon," not the "man in the moon."
- If you weigh 140 pounds on earth, you would weigh 23.240 lbs on the moon.
- The moon is 225,745 miles from earth.