Jokes for May
- The Nutty Soldier
- Big Eric
- Tempus Fugit (Time Flies)
- A Soldier is Always Prepared
- Absolutely useless trivia
- The word 'Checkmate' in chess comes from the Persian phrase 'Shah Mat,' which means 'the king is dead'.
- There is a seven letter word in the English language that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters, 'therein' the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, ere, therein, herein.
- The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle.
- The word 'set' has more definitions than any other word in the English language.
- 'Underground' is the only word in the English language that begins and ends with the letters 'und.'
- There are only four words in the English language which end in'-dous' tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
Even more trivia:
- The longest word in the English language. According to folk-lore Antidisestablishmentarianism is the longest word in the dictionary, it means being against separating church and state.However, floccinaucinihilipilification, a word found in the Oxford English dictionary since 1800, is one letter longer. This strange word means estimating that something is worthless.While the Oxford English Dictionary has even longer words such as pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, these are compound technical words and many people discount them.
- The longest one-syllable word in the English language is 'screeched.'
- The longest place-name still in use is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwenuakitanatahu, a New Zealand hill.
- Los Angeles's full name is 'El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula' and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size, 'L.A.'
- The name for Oz in the 'Wizard of Oz' was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence 'Oz.'
- The longest common word that you can type with just the left hand is probably 'Stewardesses', however there is the obscure but longer: 'Aftercataracts'. With the right hand the longest word is Phyllophyllin. (Lolypop comes close, but as Groucho Marx would say: 'no cigar')
- To 'testify' was based on men in the Roman court swearing to a statement made by swearing on their testicles.
- The combination 'ough' can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all 'A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.'
- The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.
- Facetious and abstemious contain all the vowels in the correct order, as does arsenious, meaning 'containing arsenic.'