Despite the legend of Saint George slaying a dragon, St George was a real person. Historical records show that his father was a career soldier in the Roman army, while his mother was from Lydda (Lod) Israel. What is strange is that Saint George never actually set foot in England; he spent his life in what today we call Turkey and the Middle East. As with many saints, it is Saint George's death on 23rd April in 303 AD that cements his anniversary in the calendar. Indeed, it was his gruesome death in Palestine, that was instrumental in the Catholic Church declaring St George an illustrious and Great Martyr. The precise date of St George's birth is not recorded, but it was believed to be in 275 AD, thus he lived for only 28 years.
April 23rd St George's Day History
May Day JokesRight Turn? Two yokels were driving to the next village's May Day Fair. They came to a sign that said: May Day Fair Left. ... So they turned around and went home! How to get to the fair A townie was looking for the May Day Fair, he stopped and asked Jethro. 'Will this road take me to the May Day Fair?' 'Oh no,' said Jethro. 'You'll have to go by yourself!' Fell off the back of a lorry - Guy's favourite May Day Joke Freddie was looking at the animals section at the May Fair when a dirty, scruffy man came running in the opposite direction. He stopped and asked Freddie, 'Have you seen a cart load of pigs go this way?' 'No', said Freddie, 'Why did you fall off?' See more about May Day customs
Good Insurance Policy?Hooligans had set fire to a farmer's haystack which then spread to his barn. While he surveyed the wreckage, his wife 'phoned their insurance company and asked them to send a check for £30,000, [$60,000 USD] the amount of insurance on the barn. 'We don't give you the money,' a company official explained. We replace the barn and all the equipment in it.' 'In that case,' replied the wife, 'cancel the policy I have on my husband.' See more funny marriage jokes
Baby Pink ElephantHowever, this cameraman, Mike Holding, had definitely not been drinking when he captured these photos of a pink elephant in northern Botswana, Africa. Experts believe it is probably an albino, which is an extremely rare phenomenon in African elephants. While albinism is thought to be fairly common in Asian elephants, it is much less common in the larger African species. Here we see the baby pink elephant attempting to shelter under its mother because surviving is very difficult in the harsh African bush as the glaring sun may cause blindness and skin problems.
Fast Phone Service!Ian Bell, a lorry driver, who had never owned a cell-phone, was a frequent user of the pay telephone at Weybridge Café, in Brooklands Road, and was greatly inconvenienced when the 'phone broke down. He made repeated requests for it to be repaired but sadly the telephone company only made promises. After several days, Ian, decided to contact the phone company again and told them that there was no longer any hurry to repair the box. He added that the 'phone was now working fine, concluding with 'except that all money was being returned to callers upon completion of each call.' A repairman arrived within the hour.
10 Silly Jokes.
- The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
- I thought I saw an eye doctor on an Alaskan island, but it turned out to be an optical Aleutian.
- She was only a whisky maker, but he loved her still.
- A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
- The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work.
- Two silk worms had a race. They ended up in a tie.
- Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
- A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall. The police are looking into it.
- A sign on the lawn at a drug rehab centre said: "Keep off the Grass."
- A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was, a nurse said, 'No change yet.'
Silly Billy - But Who is Going to Tell Him?See more silly jokes
- Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts.
- We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world.
- We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a "part" of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a "part" of Europe.
- The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.
- Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children.
- It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.
- It is wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago.
- I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people.
- I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix.
- For NASA, space is still a high priority.
'Waiter - There's a Fly in My Champagne'A multi-national company held a reception to celebrate Christmas. The waiter gave each guest a glass of champagne, but on inspection, each guest noticed that their glass contained a fly.
- The Swede asked for new champagne in the same glass
- The Englishman demanded to have new champagne in a new glass
- The Finn picked out the fly out and drank the champagne
- The Russian drank the champagne, fly and all
- The Chinese ate the fly but left the champagne
- The Israeli caught the fly and sold it to the Chinese
- The Italian drank two thirds of the champagne and then demanded to have a new glass
- The Norwegian took the fly and went off to fish
- The Irishman ground the fly and mixed it in the champagne, which he then donated to the Englishman
- The American sued the restaurant and claimed for a $50 million compensation
- The Scotsman grabbed the fly by the throat and shouted, 'Now spit out all that you swallowed.'
Willard WiganWillard Wigan specialises in micro-art. Masterpieces on a pin-head. In 2007 Willard deservedly received an MBE for services to art from HRH the Prince of Wales. Shortly after his award, Lloyds of London commissioned Willard to create a replica of their iconic London Building as designed Lord Richard Rogers. However, Willard's masterpiece was on a pinhead. See more about Willard Wigan
Put a Smile on Your Face at SunsetSee more interesting sunsets
Credit Crunch Jokes
- The credit crunch has helped me get back on my feet. The car's been repossessed.
- A director decided to award a prize of £50 for the best idea of saving the company money during the credit crunch. It was won by a young executive who suggested reducing the prize money to £10.
- How do you define an optimist? A bank manager who irons 5 shirts on Sunday night.
- A man went to his bank manager and said, 'I'd like to start a small business. How do I go about it?' 'Simple,' said the bank manager. 'Buy a big one and wait.'
- What's the difference between an investment banker and a pizza Margherita? A pizza Margherita can feed a family of five.