One common factor in humour is the unexpected. Names are labels;
thus when we read a name and the meaning doesn't match the goods we see,
mismatch that triggers our smile.
Humorous Names on Other Pages
- Humorous Pub Names
- Humorous Place Names
- Funny Shop Names
- Funny Shop Titles
- Funny English Words
- Humorous Names for
- Humorous Job Titles
Nicknames of Sportsmen
- Unusual Words
- Silly Book Names
- Funny Website Names
- Funny Valentine
Humorous Place Names
Once alerted by these examples, you are sure to find more amusing names of town, streets or
villages near you.
- Toad Suck, can be found in Arkansas.
- Two Guns, famously in Arizona.
- Great Snoring in Norfolk, England.
- Lickey End near Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, England.
- World's End can be found in Berkshire and again near Birmingham,
- Ugley in Essex [There is also an Ugley Women's Institute, and even
an Ugley Landfill site!]
- There again, there is Purgatory in Maine.
See more examples of Toponymy
(funny place names)
Shop Names That Make Will and Guy Smile
Humour usually follows a pattern. Based on initial impression we
think that something is true, however, when we see additional evidence,
which shows that we were wrong, we laugh at the absurdity. Sometimes we smile as a
defence mechanism to hide being caught out.
- Barbers shop named:
- Driving school in Merseyside, England: called 'L Passo'.
- 'Codfather' chippies, most notably:
'The Codfather', Camps Bay, Cape
Town, South Africa.
- Restaurant in Belfast called: 'Thai Tanic'.
- Teddy bear shop in Penge, England called: 'Bearly Trading'.
See more funny shop names
Humorous Names of Pubs
- Mad Dog, Odell, Bedfordshire
- Drunken Duck, Hawkshead, Cumbria
- The Bleeding Wolf, Hale, Altrincham, Cheshire
- The Cow and Snuffers, Llandaff, Cardiff, Wales
- The Quiet Woman - York [The sign being a woman carrying her own
- Nobody Inn - Doddiscombsleigh, Devon
- The Cemetery in Rochdale, Lancashire.
- The Three-Legged Mare [Known locally as The Wonky Donkey]
Witty Business Names
- Cut & Face (Beauty salon)
- Hair Force One (Hair salon)
- Let's Face It (Dermal / facial shop)
- Blow Jab (Boxing gym)
- Fish Be With You (Aquatic pet store)
- Income Taxi (Taxicab line)
- Wash Your Problem (Laundry shop)
Bread of Heaven Cafe
This is the most marvellous cafe in Pontypool, Wales. Great
name, great food, see my
review of the Bread of Heaven
Amusing Names for Children
We are never sure whether the parents of these children had a
mischievous streak, or else it was just a hilarious accident.
- Hazel Nutt
- Sean Head
- Dwayne Pipe (Drain Pipe)
- Bernd Onions
- Artie Choke
- Teresa Brown (Trees are brown)
- NoSmo King*
* Nosmo King was the stage name of the 1920's actor H Vernon Watson.
See more funny children's
Websites with Funny, But Clean Names
- childrenswear.co.uk - Naughty children!
- choosespain.com - We prefer Portugal.
- newsnow.co.uk - No danger of an avalanche in England.
- teacherstalk.com - Catch a coach?
Will and Guy challenge you to send the URL of website which has a name
that is funny, but without a hint of smut.
Funny Job and Name Combinations
Guy and Will have researched these job and name combinations which may
make you smile.
- Chorister, Westminster Choir College, Princeton, New Jersey: Justin Tune
- Dentist, Roslyn Heights, New York: Dr. E. Z. Filler
- The national Director of Surgery at the U.S. Department of Veterans
Affairs in Washington, D.C. Dr Blades
Bank Manager, Waterlooville, UK: Mr F. Knox
- Bankers, Wallowa County, Oregon: Cheatham & Steele
See more funny name and job
The English language is made for humour. It has absorbed words
from many other cultures, thus as scope for ambiguity, which is the mother
of wit. English grammar has a looseness that German, Greek and
Italian just don't tolerate, thus supplying more opportunities for
misunderstanding and mirth.
- If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't
the plural of booth beeth?
- If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
- A guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.
- Incidentally, there are no hogs in Hogmanay.
- When you are incommunicado: you are without the means to communicate.
- The Turkey is native, to America and is named for its resemblance to a bird native to Africa.
- Madison Square Garden, USA is not square (nor is it a garden).
See more funny English
Please send us your humorous names.
See more of funny stories, pictures, amusing videos
and jokes about people
All sections •
Men jokes •
Women jokes •
School jokes •
• Medical •
Funny people jokes •
Retirement stories •
• Silly jokes •
Christian jokes •
Short Stories •
International jokes •