Pumpkin Carving Design Ideas
Pumpkin Carving Design IdeasThe secret is to start with a healthy pumpkin. My Litmus test for a good pumpkin is a healthy stem, and a firm bottom.
- Scary Pumpkin Carvings
- Frankenstein Pumpkin Monster
- Famous Pumpkin Carvings
- Pumpkin Ghost Rider
- Pumpkin and Halloween Stencils
- The Fate of Baby Pumpkins
Scary Pumpkin Face DesignAre you able to determine the celebrity character shown by Will and Guy? [above] These pumpkins have been carved by gardener David Finkle Rather than carving out the traditional sinister smiles on his prized fruit for Halloween, gardener David Finkle is busy carving out the faces of his favourite stars for decorative "jack-o'-lanterns." David, 30, has carved out the faces of X Factor judge Simon Cowell, glamour model Jordan and Prime Minister, Gordon Brown on the fruits of his labours which grow on his small holding in Chelmsford, Essex, England. Other celebrity pumpkins he has completed include singer Amy Winehouse, Manchester United and England soccer player, Wayne Rooney, Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Cole, Michael Jackson and US president Barak Obama.
Pumpkin Ghost Rider based on 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow''The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' (1820) has spawned generations of headless horseman with pumpkins at Halloween. As you can imagine from the above picture, the story tells of a suitor being killed by a headless horseman. See more Halloween ghost stories.
Lovely Pumpkin Wall Lanterns
Pumpkin Carving Tip Before you cut the lid of the pumpkin visualise how to stop the lid falling in later. This means angling the edge of blade to get a cone shape which bevels away from the middle. Actually, a saw works better than a knife for removing the lid, cut slowly and gently. See how to make a Jack-o-Lantern
Pumpkin Carving Tips
- Draw your pumpkin design with a water-based marker, it makes it easier to correct mistakes.
- Cut the top off with a serrated metal saws. Naturally, carve away from your body. Slow steady saw strokes produce the best effect.
- To prevent the lid from falling into the pumpkin make sure that the outer diameter is bigger than the inner.
- Carve the design features closest to the equator first and work outwards.
- Check the height of the candle, you don't want the flame near the top of the pumpkin.
- A neat trick is preserve the coat by smearing with petroleum jelly or vegetable oil and cover your pumpkin with a damp cloth when it's not on display.