Here are our forecasts for pranks and jokes that you will see on April Fool's Day 2012.
- Lessons from Last Year
- April Fools' Day Down Under
- Recap of Short April Fool Jokes
- Edible Newspaper Hoax
- Computer Hoaxes for April Fool's Day 2012
Will and Guy have searched the internet and read the national and local newspapers thoroughly so as to be able to bring to you the best and the funniest pranks, hoaxes and gags carried out last 1st April 2011. We hope that you enjoy our selection and if you feel we have omitted your favourite please contact us and we will include it on the site with your name.
An early frisson of excitement was created when the following news was first announced : 'The USA nuclear launch codes are on the White House website'.
- A Blackberry with no screen was advertised in Australia
- Air New Zealand launched a pay what you weigh for an airline seat.
YouTube - April 1st Announcement
YouTube Travels Back In Time Announcing the celebration of their centenary on April 1st You Tube will be reverting its videos back to what they would have looked like around 1911, complete with grainy, sepia video footage, no audio tracks (save for piano accompaniment), and title cards in place of the site's normal comments.
- Kodak claimed to have added the ability to remove our exes from our photos. The feature is aptly titled, "Relationshifffft".
- BMW claims that in a bid to capitalise on "royal wedding fever", it has created a special version of the BMW M3 Coupé. The special M3 Royal Edition is available in a choice of three exclusive colours - Regal Red, Bridal White and Imperial Blue. It is resplendently upholstered in Windsor White Dakota leather and adorned with a commemorative "Will" emblem.
- Sir Richard Branson, the famous entrepreneur, claimed that he has officially bought Pluto, for and undisclosed sum and reinstated it as a planet.
Fancy Pants or Smart Alec?The motor manufacturer - SEAT, claimed its new SEAT Media Audio Recognition Technology (SMART) was set to shake up the sat nav market. It boasts of Automatic Regional Speech Equivalence [ARSE] software that adjusts dialogue to the local dialect. For example, a driver navigating his way through East London might be treated to the following sound bite by the SMART system, 'Awright geezer, it's straight on at these lights, innit?'
- A pen that sends a tweet as you write was also launched on 1st April in 2011.
- Ryanair made an announcement that the Irish airline will be offering child-free flights beginning in October. 'When it comes to children we all love our own but would clearly prefer to avoid other people's little monsters when travelling,' Head of Communications, Stephen McNamara told us.
- Toshiba, always at the forefront of gadgetry innovation, has announced the world's first 3D monocle.
- Google China advertised teleportation. Google China, through its innovative new search capabilities, gives the user the ability to travel through time and space.
Will was disappointed to find that this Marmite Lip Therapy was a spoof; while Guy was relieved. You really do love it or hate it!
As Usual We Find that Guinness is Right on the Ball
The free British newspaper the Metro claimed that 'newsprint and food experts have combined to cook up a sweet-tasting paper that will soon be sugar-rolling off the Metro presses.' The edible newspapers' printing process sees ingredients such as corn starch, vegetable oil, gum Arabic, water and citric acid cooked into a stodgy paste and thin sheets. Charles Bouquet, of the Edible Paper Company commented to Will and Guy, 'We hope it adds flavour to the stories and presents readers with a colourful menu of current affairs.' Apparently even celebrity chef and culinary scientist Heston Blumenthal has been involved in the process who described the project as 'a little obsession of mine.'
Will and Guy Reveal that 'Money Does Grow on Trees'In post war Europe money was tight and while growing up the expression, 'money doesn't grow on trees', meaning that one should be careful how much money one spends because there is only a limited amount was often heard in the streets and homes of Britain. Thus, Will and Guy are delighted to at last confirm to readers that money, in fact, DOES grow on trees and here is a recent photo to prove the point.
Muslims Claims For April Fools Day DefeatNow as regards the incorrect story circulating amongst the Muslims on the Internet saying that April Fool's Day is the celebration of the kufar over the conquest of Muslim Spain in 1492.
American State Changes the Value of PiThis particular April Fool hoax has a 7 year cycle. The April 1998 issue of the New Mexicans for Science and Reason contained an article explaining that the Alabama state legislature had voted to change the value of the mathematical constant pi from 3.14159 to the 'Biblical value' of 3.0. By 2005 everyone had forgotten the 1998 hoax, and it was alleged that Maine were going to round-up the value or Pi from 3.14xxxxx to 3.14. Which state will change the value for Pi in 2012? Will and Guy's hot tip is that it will be Idaho.
Beware of being asked to phone an organization and ask for a person with a strange name, for example Myra Manes at a funeral parlour. Also beware any spokeswoman called 'Avril Foujour'.
Spoof Meetings Will Be a Popular 2012 April Fool's Day HoaxHere is an example of hoax from CardsChat's 2011 article. As an aside, beware of any April 1st article with 'lunar' as its theme. The First Ever Poker Tournament in Space CardsChat.com, in association with Virgin Galactic, is proud to announce the poker game of the century. Ivey will face off against Negreanu in a match that will make poker history by being played on board the International Space Station (ISS). Branson, who's Virgin Racing has had sponsorship deals with Full Tilt Poker in the past, is famous for making a splash when it comes to promotions. "I wanted to do something huge for Virgin Galactic and poker doesn't get any bigger than Ivey and Negreanu. When I heard NASA had some room on the space shuttle the idea for the poker game of the century was born," he told CardsChat. Virgin Galactic has arranged for Ivey and Negreanu to be carried up to the ISS by the Space Shuttle Atlantis, which will fly its last mission at the end of June. There they will face off for a whopping $10 million prize pot. In addition, these poker gladiators will also be fighting for their respective sites to partner up with Virgin Galactic for the Lunar Poker Tour 2012 which will be held on board the Virgin's SpaceShipTwo. "There's everything to play for," Ivey told CardsChat. "It's not just about the money, but about what we can do for the game as well." Negreanu was far more pragmatic. "Imagine running satellites to a tournament that could see you play poker in space. It will be huge!" TV networks are already clamoring over what could easily be the biggest sporting event of the year. And With the ISS travelling at 17,500 miles-an-hour, this is one poker tournament that could be considered a turbo. Read more at CardsChat
Re-cycling of Old Urban Myths
Military Hoaxes for April Fool's Day 2012Because of their rigid discipline the army are always a good source of April Fools hoaxes, therefore expect 2012 to be no different.
- Spoof the mouse. Unplug the original mouse. Plug in a fake mouse. When they check their connection it seems to be working. One from Dr Devious.
- An old favourite: tape over the optical sensor of your friend's mouse.
- Alter Word's Autocorrect on your victim's machine. Launch Word for Windows. Find the 'Proofing settings'. Make changes to AutoCorrect, e.g. a to ye. I to you.
- On someone else's machine press set High Contrast mode Press:Shift + ALT + Print Screen. Note 1: You need Shift and not Ctrl. Also use the Left Alt and not the right. Note 2: To Undo press the same combination: Shift + ALT + Print Screen. Note 3: Learn from this madness by checking out the Ease of access settings in Control Panel.
- Variation, turn on Narrator and drive the computer user mad. Control Panel --> Ease of access.
- Cuckoo clock - Install this computer joke application.