That Year - July Dates Quiz
Events that happened in July - Can you name the year?
Will and Guy have a surprise - there are no jokes
on this page, just a challenge to you; can you name that year?
All these 34 events happened in July -
But in which year?
The values in brackets is the leeway that
I give you.
For example: The Russo (Russian) - Japanese War starts. (10 years)
Exact answer: 1904, leeway 1894-1914.
- Battle of the Boyne (Drogheda in Ireland). (50 Years)
- Steve Fossett first flies solo around the world in a balloon. (5 Years)
- Dow Jones stock
index launched (40 Years).
- Last Great Auk killed (Symbol of Man's
stupidity in hunting animals) (40 Years).
- Grand Junction Railway opened between Birmingham and Liverpool. (World's
first intercity train) (40 Years)
- Isaac Newton publishes Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica (75 Years).
- The bikini is introduced (20 Years).
- Biafran War started by Nigerian forces invading
Biafra (10 Years).
- Yul Brynner born (15 Years).
- US State Dept issues first American passport (50 Years).
- The first US duplicate bridge championship held in America (20 Years).
- Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior sunk in
Auckland New Zealand. 11th 1859 Charles Dickens A Tale Of Two Cities is published (10 Years).
- The Lumière brothers show their first film (25 Years).
- Boris Yeltsin resigns from Soviet Communist party (10 Years).
Boxer uprising in China (20 Years).
- King Faisal II Prime Minister of Iraq, assassinated in Baghdad (15 Years).
- First flight of the Boeing 707, the first American jet passenger airliner. (15 Years)
- Emperor Haile
Selassie signs the first constitution of Ethiopia (20 Years).
- The Mont Blanc Tunnel joining Italy with France opens (20 Years).
- Gymnast Nadia Comaneci, scores first ever perfect 10 at the Olympic Games. (8 Years)
- The Spanish Armada was sighted in the English Channel (50 Years).
- The Sandinista rebels overthrow the government of the Somoza family in Nicaragua (15 Years).
- Sioux Indian leader Sitting Bull, surrenders to federal
troops. (20 Years)
- Neil Armstrong and 'Buzz' Aldrin become the first men to walk on the Moon. (10 Years)
- John Dillinger, American bank robber shot (20 Years).
- William Austin Burt patents the first typewriter (30 Years).
- Alfons (Alphonse) Mucha, Czech painter and print-maker was born (20 Years).
- Louise Brown, the first so-called test-tube, is born (10 Years).
- Dr Esperanto's
International Language first published.
settlers arrive in Chubut Valley, Patagonia (Argentina) (30 Years).
- Maximilien Robespierre is guillotined in Paris France (50 Years).
- Inauguration of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris (40 Years).
- First Defenestration of
Prague. 7 Ministers of the council thrown through a window to their death (75 Years).
- Liberace born (15 Years).
Bonus Which date in July is Independence Day?
to July Dates here
July Distinguishing Events
- 1st Canada Day
- 1st Doctor's Day
- 1st Wife Carrying Championships Finland
- Cycling: Tour de France
- 4th of July - American Independence Day
- 6-14th Running of the Bulls at Pamplona
Muslim Festival Ramadan Ends
- 12th Orangeman's Day Northern Ireland
- 14th July Bastille Day
- 15th July St Swithin's Day
- Golf: UK
- 24th Cousins' Day
- 27th National Scotch Egg Day
- 29th The inauguration of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris (1836)
See other interesting events that happened in July back down
Try another month, and guess some more dates:
Name That Year • Jan •
• Special Day Events •
Special Day Today •