1) Mother Panda Munching
2) Panda cub lying by the mother's feet
3) What's the matter with the Panda cub?
Incidentally, cubs are born blind, but they are
able to cry and call out to the mother for milk.
Giant Panda with Cub
Check out the Panda video and see what happened
P.S. Please send us your funny animal pictures - especially of Pandas
The Panda Picnic
After playing on the slide the pandas decide to
have a party
Pandas having liquid refreshment at the picnic
Three of eight pandas which have been chosen for an Olympic exhibition tour to
Beijing. They were selected in an online poll when about 10 million votes were
Interesting Facts About Pandas
- The giant panda has a special place in Chinese folklore; for example the fur or
pelt was thought to ward off plagues. Each region of China seems to have a
different name for the panda for instance, cat bear, eater of bamboo or great
- As you can see from the above pictures, pandas sit, or lie down when they feed.
If you ever see their teeth, they are relatively large. Being a herbivore
they need to eat at least every 6 hours, indeed they are one of the few bears
who don't hibernate, probably because their bamboo snack is available all the
- Pandas have one of the biggest contrasts between tiny baby and adult. They gain their full size at about 4yrs old and become
reproductively mature at age 6 and live for about 25 years.
- It seems hard to believe that bamboo could grow into dense forests, however this
is just the habitat where pandas flourish. Indeed this is the problem, in
nature bamboo shoots is all that pandas eat, thus they are dependent on being
left at peace in such bamboo thickets. Today there are only 6 areas in
China where it's high enough, and cold enough, for the deciduous forest suitable
for bamboo to grow in quantity.
- Rumour: The collective name for a group pandas is a pandamonium.
Two abandoned red panda cubs are thriving at a zoo in China - after being
adopted by a dog Will and Guy can reveal. The word "panda" actually
translated from the Chinese means "bamboo eater". The cubs were ignored by
their mother after it gave birth in front of a crowd at Taiyuan Zoo in
China's Shanxi province we have learned.
The zoo urgently needed a replacement mother if the cubs were to live and
they found a dog which had recently given birth on a neighbouring farm. The
dog is now raising the two cubs like its own offspring; sometimes even
refusing to feed her own pup. We have discovered from Zoo worker, Ha
Guojiang, that the stand-in mum is good-natured and has happily adopted the
cubs. At three weeks old, the baby cubs have not yet opened their eyes but
have doubled in length to 20cms [8ins].
Ten Fascinating Facts About Red Pandas
- The red panda is rare and continues to decline and wild life experts
now consider it to be an endangered species.
- The red panda, which is much smaller than the giant panda, resembles
a raccoon in size and appearance.
- Red pandas almost exclusively eat bamboo.
- They are good tree climbers and spend most of their time in trees
when not foraging.
- The red panda is found in a mountainous band from Nepal through
north eastern India and Bhutan and into China, Laos and northern
- Red pandas love to wrap themselves in their tail when the weather is
- The fur of red pandas is dense and very warm.
- Pandas have big and strong teeth and jaws which helps when they find
- Maximum lifespan of any panda is 14 years.
- Red pandas are important and they are the symbol of the
International Tea Festival in Darjeeling, Nepal.
Please send us your interesting facts about
See more funny pictures of animals, also jokes and
Baby elephant •
Elephant pics •
Elephant escapes •
Tiger & piglet •
Animal index •
Hippo & Tortoise •
Hippo & Tortoise •
Rory and Millie •
Animal videos •
Leopardess and mouse •