- Poor Ducklings
- Helpful Duck Sign
- Yellow Duck Race
- Black Ducks Win
- Ducklings Play 'Chicken'
- I'm late, I'm late
- Funny Duck Picture - The Pickpocket
- Dog and Duck - Imprinting
- Interesting Facts About Ducks
Guy has two ducks that he uses as an alarm clock. They wake him up at the 'Quack of dawn.'
Duck RacePerhaps as a child you dropped sticks into a river? In those idyllic childhood days it always seemed we had a friend who also dropped their stick and thus we had stick races. Later fathers and especially uncles, took over the game and instead of sticks they introduced posh ducks. Most likely this desire for bigger and better ducks was fuelled by competition between brothers who had now grown up and used their children to continue their rivalry.
Urban Myth - A 'Ringer' Plastic DuckIt was reported from an unsubstantiated source that the plastic race in a certain big city in America had to be abandoned when someone tried to substitute a 'ringer', a plastic duck with a tiny outboard motor. While a miniature motor in a duck is far-fetched idea, we once heard of a plastic duck filled with baking powder and a tiny hole at the rear. The idea was that the baking powder would react with the water to produce carbon dioxide, which would propel the 'ringer' faster than the rest. The problem was that when filled with backing powder, the duck was much lower in the water the rest and soon drew attention. The other problem was that there was no way of controlling the direction the duck was propelled - unless you installed a radio controlled rudder!
More Duckling Pictures
Black Ducklings WinNow we know what happened to the other yellow ducklings. They lost in the game of 'Chicken'!
Word has it, say Will and Guy that ducks were responsible for the discovery of the Americas. Apparently on October 8th, 1492, crewmen aboard one of Columbus's ships, the Pinta, observed ducks flying south-west and altered course to investigate. On October 12th, they sighted land in the Bahamas.See more funny duck pictures.
Little Chicks Need a Holiday Too! [Kindly Sent by Junie]Now the children in this area are on holiday for a few weeks from school, there are 3 little chicks who need to be taken care of by someone, who is coming later on to pick them up from here. My husband, who is the school caretaker, brought them home in a plastic box. They are not very old. There is a light bulb to keep them warm. They look at me. They listen to me typing. I don't know how intelligent they are, cos all they do is either walk about pecking at the wood shavings or looking up at me.... They probably know I'm typing jokes. Cos that's what I'm doing. But they probably realise - its just cheep humour!
Only in America - Duck Gets 'Order of Protection'A pet duck named Circles, who was shot and wounded with a pellet gun, has received an order of protection. New York introduced the protection law to deal with domestic violence. This was the first time that an animal has benefited from such an order. What happened was that the duck Circles was in its owner's backyard when a neighbour shot it through the neck. The duck was successfully treated by a vet. Meanwhile, the neighbour was charged with animal cruelty, and at the arraignment and Circles got an order of protection.
- One amusing ritual for introducing friends to an Indian restaurant, is to persuade the greenhorn to order a Bombay duck, and then watch their incredulity when the waiter brings a dried fish. The Bombay duck really is a fish, or to be completely accurate, a lizardfish, which does indeed live in the waters off Bombay.
- Seven Peking ducks were imported into the USA in from China in 1873. Little did these entrepreneurs realise that these ducks would turn into a $30 million industry farming and cooking their Peking ducks ancestors.Incidentally, attempts to rename Peking duck to Beijing duck have been a spectacular failure.
- 'Dabbling ducks' is a general name for a classic duck. The duck you see in children's books, the mallard duck that you see at top of this page and the Peking duck in the previous snippet.
- The male duck is the drake, while the female duck is the hen; their eggs hatch into ducklings. Will and Guy's favourite collective name for a group of flying ducks, is a 'team of ducks'. When they are on the water we call them a 'paddling of ducks. However, everyone else seems to refer to them a 'flock of ducks', whether they are flying, swimming, or on land.
- In cricket, a batsman who is out without scoring is said to be out for a duck. One 'wag' back in 1859 spotted that a 0 on a scoreboard looked like a duck's egg.
- 'Lame duck' was originally an 18th century term for investors in the stock market who could not, or would not, pay their brokers. Later in 1926 a Wisconsin newspaper, wrote the heading: 'Making a lame duck of Coolidge'. Calvin Coolidge would be the first of many American presidents to be saddled with the epithet - Lame duck president.
- Here is an unusual word to throw into your conversation - anatine, it means duck-like.