The English are notoriously bad at learning foreign languages, this is what
they do instead - create funny phrases.
Ten Cool Foreign Words - And Their New
These funnies were spotted in magazine competition; competitors were
asked to change one letter in a foreign phrases and then redefine the
- Harley-Vous Francais? - Can you drive a French motorcycle?
- Haste Cuisine - French fast food.
- Posh Mortem - Aristocratic deaths.
- Felix Navidad - My cat has a boat.
- Merci rien- Thanks for nothing.
- Quip pro quo - A very fast reply.
- Veni, Vidi, Vice - I came, I saw, I was naughty.
- Ich liebe rich - I'd love to have lots of money.
- Amicus Puriae - A platonic friend.
- Respondez s'il vous plaid - Only come to the party in a kilt.
What The Cool
Foreign Words Were Meant to Say
- Parlez-vous Francais - Do you speak French? (Harley as in
- Haute Cuisine - Translates from the French
literally as "high cooking" it refers to quality cooking in good restaurants
- Post Mortem - Latin for autopsy - to examine a
body after death
- Feliz Navidad - Happy Christmas to Spanish
- Merci bien - Thank you in French - "rien" the French for nothing
- Quid pro quo - From the Latin "something for something" - an equal exchange
of goods or services
- Vene, Vedi, Vici - I came, I saw, I conquered - words
attributed to Julius Caesar.
liebe dich - I love you in German
- Amicus curiae is a legal Latin
phrase, literally translated as "friend of the court".
- RSVP - Please reply (Answer in French!)
Competition - Funny Meaning to Ordinary Words
Every year the Washington Post asks its readers
to dream up alternative, yet cool meanings for ordinary words. Here are examples:
- Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk
- Willy-nilly (adj.), impotent.
- Giraffiti (n): Vandalism spray-painted very, very high.
- Inoculatte (v): To take coffee intravenously when you
are running late.
- Caterpallor (n.): The colour you turn after finding half a grub in the fruit you're eating.
- See more funny examples
Clever Yet Cool Phrases
- Poultry in motion: A chicken crossing the road
- Acupuncture: A jab well done.
- If you jump off a Paris bridge, you are in Seine.
- When she saw her first strands of gray hair, she thought she'd dye.
- Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead the dough basis.
- See more clever wise words
Please send us your cool foreign words